California Bulgur Salad with Lemon Mint Dressing
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup diagonally sliced green onions
- Lemon Mint Dressing
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 2 to 3 (about 3 to 3 1/2 oz. each) California kiwifruit, pared and sliced
- 1 cooked chicken breast (10 to 12 oz.) boned, skinned and sliced or 10 to 12 ounces cooked whitefish, cut into serving-sized pieces
Versatile Bulgur Salad can be served with light meat, such as chicken or fish and can be eaten alone or as a side dish.
SautÃ© bulgur and mushrooms in butter until golden; add chicken broth, cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Cool. Toss with green onions and 1/4 cup Lemon Mint Dressing. Arrange bulgur, cabbage and kiwifruit on plates with sliced chicken or fish; drizzle with remaining Lemon Mint Dressing. Makes 4 servings.
Lemon Mint Dressing
Combine 6 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and 4 teaspoons honey with 2 teaspoons each grated lemon peel and fresh minced mint leaves; mix well. Makes about 1/2 cup.
One teaspoon dried crushed mint can be substituted.